Thursday, December 16, 2010

Taiwan Trip

Embarked on my Taiwan Trip on 15 November after 3 months of planning. The euphoria of this trip actually dies down after so many months. But well, since the ticket is booked, just have to go along with it.

I bought a one way ticket to Taiwan, as I did not know when I’ll want to come back. Was thinking of flying back when I feel like it. However, when at the airport, I was told that I cannot board the plane unless I have a return ticket. Felt a bit pissed with this. Was told to buy a return ticket from the counter. I was quoted $414 for the return ticket. The girl at the counter informed me that it’ll be cheaper if I buy it online. Luckily I brought a laptop and immediately online to buy a return ticket at $252. Saved $162.

Reached Taiwan after about 5 hours of flight. Immediately rushed to take the high speed rail to Kaohsiung to meet Aya. After meeting Aya, I checked in my hostel but don’t really like the place. Find it too remote from the train station. On top of that, don’t like the atmosphere there.

Left the hostel for the jetty to Penghu the next day. The sea was quite rough that day. Having some trouble walking straight in the ferry. Reached Penghu after 5 hours in the ferry. Checked in my hostel and walked around the town that very day.

The trip to Penghu is very nice. Slow pace of life, and fantastic scenery, especially the twin heart rock in Qimei. Strong wind, cold weather. And it seems that I am the only tourist in the whole of Penghu as it’s the low season for tourism right now.

Went back Kaohsiung and met Aya again. She met me in her scooter. I must say the way she rode scooter is scary as she accelerates quite fast. Furthermore, because I am carry my backpack on my back, the inertia was pulling me back whenever she accelerates. Went Raohe night market before making our way back to her hostel. Stayed a night in her hostel.

We went Kenting the next day. Along the way to Kenting, the tyre of the mini van burst and I had to help to change the tyre. Never had such an experience to change the tyre in the middle of the expressway.

Kenting is a beautiful place with blue sky, turquoise sea and green mountain. We rented a scooter and travelled around Kenting. Went to the market for lunch, then to the seaside and finally to the mountain to for sunset. Walked around the main street of Kenting that night. The next day, we continued our journey to the south. Went to the southern most tip of mainland Taiwan.

Left Kenting at noon and took a 2 hours ride from Kenting to Kaohsiung. Aya had motion sickness and was feeling sick during the trip. The torturous trip ended in Kaohsiung Main Station and we made our way to Cijin. But before that, we went for dessert at an ice store. I must admit that the ice is delicious. Went over to Cijin and toured the place for about an hour before Aya had to go back Kaohsiung to pick up her roommate.

My next day in Kaohsiung is psychologically demanding. Perhaps it’s because of the hot weather during the daytime that gave me a congested feeling. Furthermore, perhaps I have no one to talked to all of a sudden that made me feel weird. At the very least, I had Aya to talked to the past few days. I began to miss home all of a sudden. Never had such feelings before.

Went Tainan early morning the very next day to escape from the hot afternoon heat in Kaohsiung. The weather in Tainan is so cooling and I loved it so much. In addition to that, the food was great too. Good food, good weather, and good hostel operator. I cancelled my trip to Fen Qi Hu in exchange for one more day in Tainan.

Proceed to Minxiong, Chiayi and met my next host, Huiwen. Went to her hostel to leave my backpack before she brought me to tour her university. Quite a relaxing walk in the campus. After that, we bought our dinner back to her hostel and had a “romantic” dinner by the candlelight. Haha.. She had a birthday celebration that night and had to leave me in the room while she goes to help out in the party. At some point of time, her friends will look for her in her room. However, it seems to me that her friends are quite curious about me and some of them will come in to say hello. Well, Taiwanese are friendly and amicable people.

The stay at Minxiong ended so fast. Left Minxiong for Huashan next morning. Reached Douliu and took a cab to Huashan. However, it seems that many of the shops and hostels are closed. I did not book a hostel beforehand and therefore had some trouble looking for accommodation. It seems like a dead town. While walking up the hill looking for accommodation, I saw someone in a shop picking coffee bean and asked her if there’s any hostel nearby. She helped me call one of the hostel manager to pick me up. While waiting for the car, we chatted and she wanted to treat me a cup of coffee when she knew I am from Singapore.

Left my backpack at the hostel and made my way to the coffeehouse that I was finding for the past 5 years. Walked up the mountain as my hostel is at the bottom of the mountain and the coffeehouse at the top of the mountain. Took about 2 hours to reach there. The feeling was beyond words when I reached the coffeehouse. 5 years of searching, 5 hours of flight, $500 of air ticket, and 2 hours trekking up the mountain. Perhaps people may say that it’s too much an effort for a cup of coffee. I would say that it’s a goal, an effort, a persistence, and a belief to reach there. Just like any goals we set in life. After the goal is set, an effort to achieve the goal must be made, a persistence to reach the goal despite all odds, and a belief that you will get there

Zhengxian picked me up at the hostel early in the morning. We went the green tunnel for a relaxing breakfast. Bought some fried mushroom there. It was quite delicious. After that, we went to see the bridge that connects Yunlin to Changhua. We proceed to Zhengxian’s auntie place and then to see a historic temple. I must say Taiwan has lots of temples. We went to the puppet museum after that. In the puppet museum, it depicts the different characters in a traditional puppet show. Our last destination was a towel factory in Yunlin.

Zhengxian and family brought me to eat a local delicacy. It is said to build up the body in preparation for the cold winter. I wanted to pay the bill but they insist on paying. Felt so bad.

The next day, we went to Taichung. Went to 921 Earthquake museum to experience the earthquake that was felt in 21 September 1999. After that, we went Xinci’s house and was introduced to the family. Her dad gave us a treat. They are all very nice and sincere people. After lunch, we went to Xinci’s house for Karaoke and viewing Zhengxian and Xinci’s wedding video. First time I experience the Taiwanese way of life. On the whole, Taiwanese family are very close to one another.

Went to meet my next host, Wanlin after that. I told her that I came Taichung a few years ago and the impression that Taichung gave me was that it’s an old town. We went to walk around the area near her place and then went to the night market. Well, comeing to Taiwan is of course to visit the night market. I had a 180 degrees change of view after she brought me out that night. I saw the other side of Taichung.

Traffic in Taichung is quite horrendous. On top of that, I have not seen so many people for a long time. For the past few weeks, it is almost like I’m the only people in the street, or the only car on the road. And now, so many vehicles squeezing onto the road. Quite overwhelmed by it.

Taichung is famous for its “Tai Yang Bing” and Wanlin brought me to get some on my last night. The “Tai Yang Bing” is the best I have ever had. It’s taste sweet and a bit cooling on the inside. Never tasted such a good “Tai Yang Bing” before. It’s even better than Tai Yang Tang’s Tai Yang Bing.

Proceed to Hsinchu after that. Initially planned to stayed at a dorm. However, it is a distance from the train station and was feeling tired, therefore just find another accommodation near the station. Hsinchu is actually quite a nice place. It has vibrant city life, unlike what I initially thought. Well, I just have one day there and therefore did not venture out too far from the city.

Left Hsinchu for Taoyuan the next day. Met up with Yuanlin at Chungli Station. She came with her scooter and brought me to her dad’s place to leave my luggage there before we proceed to tour Taoyuan by bus. Went to an old street for some tofu and then to a park where there are hundreds of Chiang Kai Shiek’s statue. The park is very serene and beautiful. Went to night market in the evening. Played some games at the night market and I lose the game. Well, it’s obvious as I never played before. Haha. The loser treat the winner to a drink.

Yuanlin brought me to take a free bus from Zhongyuan University to Taipei. Reached Taipei in about an hour. The first thing I did was to get an accommodation and then went to meet up with Jane in Ximen Ding. Left for Shilin after lunch at KFC in Ximen Ding. Walked around Shilin and then sat diwn at Starbucks for a chat. Jane told me that Longshan Temple is good as she brought her friend to pray to Yue Lao and her friend got attached after a while. Therefore the next day, I went to the temple and walked around that area. Longshan temple is in the midst of the red light district in Taipei. And while walking around, I see a lot of “aunties” trying to solicit. They remind me of “Ruhua” in Stephen Chow’s movie. Haha.

Met up with Johnny and Ariel after that. Went Wufenpu. Shopping at Wufenpu was quite tiring. And Johnny was almost dying after the trip to Wufenpu. We took a rest at a café at Taipei main station and found the shop that claimed that they introduced 珍珠奶茶to the world. Had dinner at Shida Night Market and then went to a pub for a drink.

Stayed at Danshui the next day. The accommodation is at the top of a hill and had to walk up a steep slope to get there. The boss of the hostel is quite a nice lady and we chatted for an hour or so. Previously, the Danshui I knew is just the street and the fisherman wharf. However, this time, I found out that there are some interesting places other than the ones I usually go to.

My next stop is the eastern Taiwan. Went Hualian, the place where most of the earthquake originates. I was quite disappointed when they told me that there was an earthquake the very morning when I’m supposed to be there. I was still in the train then. Scenery at the east coast is very beautiful. However, the sand at the beach is black instead of the usual white or beige in colour. Went to 南賓公園, overlooking the pacific ocean, and enjoy what mother nature offers me. Back to nature.

I should say people in Hualian is very friendly. Just by sitting in the bus, I chatted with 2 middle age ladies and the bus driver. One of the lady is quite familiar with one of the places that we are going and brought me around the place. Went to Liyu Lake after that. Same bus driver, different passengers. Chatted up with them again. Hualian people, I should say, are the friendliest people I have met.

After 2 days in Hualian, and disappointed that I have not experience any earthquake, I went to Taitung. Taitung, a place that is so remote to tourist, is almost untouched by mankind. Well, I’m just being exaggerating. Taitung has a nice scenery and the pace of living is slow. The bus system is horrendous. There’s only a few buses prying through a certain location and if u miss the bus, u’ll have to wait for an hour or so. And the drivers in Taitung are not as friendly as those in other states. The drivers speed through the bus stop and if u did not put out your hand early enough, he’ll just speed pass u and u’ll have to wait for the next bus.

I missed a bus at 小野柳 and the next bus is 2 hours later. However, some locals brought me to another bus stop to take another bus to the same location. Was waiting for the bus with a primary school teacher and 2 primary students and we missed the bus again as it speed pass us. The teacher, went back to the school to drive his car in order to send the students home and gave me a lift at the same time.

Went hot spring the next day. It’s the first time I tried public pool. The public pool has more facilities than the private room. Had a good night sleep after the hot spring.

Woke up early the next day to catch the train to Kaohsiung. The 0840hrs train was full and therefore I had to wait for the 0945hrs train. Was so tired that I slept throughout most of the train ride. Only woke up in between to catch a glimpse of the scenery and went back to sleep again.

I reached Kaohsiung on 11 December 2010, at 1256hrs, which completed my round Taiwan trip. Took 和欣 to Taichung to buy 太陽餅. Always have the impression that 和欣 buses are very comfortable. Perhaps I should admit that it’s better compared to other buses, but not what I expected. Took a cab to the 太陽餅shop and then took a train back to Taipei.

While at the hostel in Taipei, I was online and got to know that Wanlin was in Taipei. Therefore we planned to go cycling the next day, together with her friend.

Went to Danshui again with Wanlin and her friend. I did not know where they are going but just blindly follow. If I am not wrong, initially, our plan is to go Danshui to take a ferry to Fisherman’s Wharf and to cycle from there back to Danshui. But as the queue is too long, we decided to abort the plan.

We went to Bali to rent a bicycle to cycle along the coast. The cycling trip took about 2 hours. Quite a nice and scenic path, with cool weather. However, one drawback is that there were too many people that day.

Interestingly, we crossed the same bridge, 關渡大橋, 5 times that day. First time to Danshui, Second time from Danshui to Bali. As for the third time, it’s because we missed a turn and therefore crossed the bridge again towards Danshui. Forth time was to turn back to Bali. And the fifth was after the cycling trip, when we were going to Yang Ming Shan for dinner.

Went to 象山with my hostelmates, Vickie and Wu Liang, the next day. Trekked up the mountain for a view of the Taipei 101. Went back to hostel with Wu Liang to rest for while before I went for some last minute shopping.

The last day in Taiwan was spent doing foot reflexology and having a hair cut. It’s a day for me to pamper myself before going back to Singapore. Really hate to leave Taiwan, especially when the weather is just starting to turn cold.

Well, all things must come to an end. Left Taiwan at 2030hrs after an hour delay. Touched down Singapore at 0120hrs.

*********************************************************************************

Below are the nice people whom I stayed with in Taiwan:

AYA

Met Aya at Judan Station. The first thing she said when she saw me was “You can speak mandarin!” She was very stressed as she thought that I can only speak English as she can’t converse well in English. She brought me to a café around that place for tea. She took out a map drawn by her friend and led me there. I can’t imagine that she took such effort just to bring me for tea. Was quite touched by her gesture.

Pillar riding on Aya’s scooter was like a ride in roller coaster. But it’s an experience of a lifetime. Haha.

HUIWEN

Waited for Huiwen at the Minxiong station for her about an hour plus before she arrived with a scooter. She borrowed the scooter from her friend just to ferry me. The first thing she told me when she saw me was “I just got my licence and you’re my 2nd passenger.” Was so scared that she’ll be like Aya, but end of the day, she rode quite smoothly. Perhaps it’s because she just got her licence that she’s more safety conscious. She told me that I’m one of her motivator to get a scooter licence.

Huiwen is quite a blur but cute person. She rode her scooter without the headlights on at night until I asked her if the headlights is on. Only after that did she scramble to figure out how to turn on the headlights.

Huiwen gave up her room for me and bunk in with her friend for the night, with both the girls squeezing on a small bed. I was so touched.

ZHENGXIAN & XINCI

Met Zhengxian and Xinci when they came to Singapore on 3rd November. Both of them are interesting people. Zhengxian was the first and only person who called me when there’s an earthquake in Taiwan to check if I’m alright. The first thing he asked me when I picked up the phone is “Did it frightened you?” I don’t know what he meant initially until he told me that there’s an earthquake in Taiwan a few minutes ago and he is calling me to check if I’m alright. I did not feel any earthquake in Kaohsiung. Perhaps it’s because the distance from Kaohsiung to the epicenter of the earthquake is quite far.

I must admit that Zhengxian is a very knowledgeable person. He knows a lot of things and quite informative. He certainly can be a good tour guide. Haha. Perhaps this can be his next source of income.

Xinci is a very independent lady. She has her own mind and not easily influence by others. She’s the kind who will focus and lock onto a goal until she achieves it. A very positive person, and always encouraging others.

Both husband and wife are very hospitable. Really glad to have known them.

WANLIN

Wanlin is a very nice person. She gave up her room for me while she squeezed with her parents for my 3 nights stay there. I felt very bad about it. On top of that, she brought me around with her scooter when she is free for me to experience Taichung.

Met up Wanlin again in Taipei a week later with her friend, Amie. I brought them around Danshui. Yes, I brought them around. Haha. Brought them to eat “Ah Gei” and try Red Tea Macchiato at 50.

YUANLIN

Knew Yuanlin when she came to Singapore a few months back. She is a very humourous girl. She is unpretentious and speaks her mind. An out-going person and brings joy to people around her. She is quite “lame” at times. An interesting person to hang around with. Certainly enjoy being with her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home